This chickpea & sweet potato curry is a low-cost recipe that can be eaten at a nice lunch meal or made for an easy dinner. The ingredients are easily interchangeable to suit your personal preferences, therefore, feel free to change it as much as you want/need. This recipe should give you an idea of how to make a tasty and vegan chickpea & sweet potato curry.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½–1 tsp chili flakes (to taste)
- 25g fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 260g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 whole tomatoes, chopped
- 240g rice, to serve
- 400g sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the cumin seeds and fry for around a minute, or until aromatic. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook for further 5–6 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the garlic, chilli flakes and ginger and fry for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, tomatoes and chickpeas to the pan. Add enough water (approximately 250-300ml) to cover the chickpeas and sweet potatoes and bring to a simmer, stirring to mix everything together.
- Cover with a lid and simmer over a medium–low heat, stirring now and again, for 25–30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and beginning to break apart and the sauce has thickened. If needed, add a little more water during cooking.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions. Season the curry with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with the rice.
Macros (per Serving)